Once upon a time, in the language of flowers, petunias represented anger and resentment. A surge in popularity would however see the meaning change to one of desire and hope, and knowing now what petunias have done for us, that’s a fitting emotion.
Decades ago, a scientist tried to manipulate the genes of a particular purple petunia with the goal of making its hue deeper and richer. The experiment failed, however, resulting in petunias that were either mostly or completely white. The phenomenon was then named "cosuppression," and the length of this blurb can’t possibly contain the full history of this experiment and its aftermath, but it eventually led to breakthroughs in the treatment of cancer and HIV through gene therapy. Maybe the petunias were resentful because they were just misunderstood?
What's more, we created this design in collaboration with Alex Dainis of Helicase Media! She has a PhD in genetics from Stanford University, as well as 10 years of experience producing visual and interactive media.
Kids' fit and flare twirl dress
- Dress has functional pockets
- Made from soft, high-quality 100% cotton
- Manufactured using eco-friendly dyes
- Color: White with purple, blue, and green petunias design
- The model is wearing a size 11/12 years (the length of the 11/12 years measures 33.75")
- Dress can be pulled over the neck and have no fasteners or zippers
Care Instructions: Machine wash cold. Tumble dry low or lay flat to dry